- Employment Discrimination
- Labor & Employment Law
Mr. Casey is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Law Practice Group, as well as its Litigation Department. He represents businesses of various sizes, municipalities, health care providers, and institutions of higher learning in a wide range of labor and employment law matters.
Mr. Casey’s litigation experience on behalf of employers includes: defense of employment discrimination claims before the PHRC, the EEOC, and in federal court; defense of FLSA claims; defense of unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB and the PLRB; representation in grievance arbitrations; and defense of unemployment compensation claims. He has also represented employers in investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Labor regarding compliance with wage and hour laws, prevailing wage rates, and the Family and Medical Leave Act. In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Casey regularly counsels employers regarding: background checks of prospective employees and employment application procedures; employee discipline; wage and hour compliance; employment terminations and prevention of employment related claims; and reductions in force. He frequently advises Colleges and Universities with regard to personnel, faculty, and student related matters and policies. His practice also includes the drafting and review of employee handbooks, as well as the negotiation and drafting of separation agreements.
- Regularly drafts and negotiates separation agreements on behalf of employers.
- Provides counseling regarding reductions-in-force, including WARN Act issues.
- Represents employers in investigations by the U.S. Department of Labor into issues of wage and hour and prevailing wage rate compliance.
- Successful defense of an employer in an Unfair Labor Practice matter before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Successful defense of employment discrimination claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission.
- Successful defense of unemployment compensation claims.
King’s College (B.A., magna cum laude, 1997)
Catholic University of America (J.D., 2000)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Health Care
- Manufacturing & Industrials
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Software & Information Technology
- Co-presented a seminar titled “Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law” that identified the latest developments in labor and employment law.
- Presentation for National Business Institute’s “Human Resources Law from Start to Finish” seminar.
- Presentation at Sterling Education Services “Employment Law: Beyond the Basics” seminar.
- Presentation to the Eastern Pennsylvania Association of Housing Authorities regarding the Fair Housing Act and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act.
- “Epilepsy, Employment and the ADA,” presented to the Epilepsy Foundation of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Presentation to Northeast Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners regarding Social Media Issues in the Workplace.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar Association (Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association)
- Leadership Northeast – Board of Directors