- Bankruptcy & Creditor’s Rights
- Commercial Nonprofit Residential Tax Assessment Appeals
- Commercial/Resident Mortgage Foreclosures
- Commercial/Residential Real Estate Closings
- Commercial/Residential Landlord/Tenant Matters
- Representation of Chapter 11 Unsecured Creditor’s Committees
- Oil & Gas Leases
Mr. MacNeely’s practice is split between his handling of bankruptcy and creditor’s rights issues and real estate taxation matters.
With respect to his creditors’ rights practice, Mr. MacNeely has successfully obtained, enforced and executed upon judgments for his clients in a timely, professional and cost effective manner. His clients include businesses, banks and lending institutions in enforcing, protecting and advancing their rights against their debtors. He also represents the interests of creditors’ committees in bankruptcy court proceedings. Mr. MacNeely has substantial experience representing such clients on a regular basis in bankruptcy court, federal court and state court actions as well as in appeals before the Third Circuit. A secondary aspect of his practice in this area is the handling of real estate foreclosures on commercial and residential properties and sheriff sale actions. In the real estate taxation area, Mr. MacNeeley has successfully appealed the real estate tax assessment of hundreds of clients’ properties. He has also represented numerous hospitals, universities and other non-profit and charitable organizations in obtaining tax exempt status for their properties. In addition, he has helped various clients secure “Clean and Green” approval for their properties before the Board of Assessment Appeals and elsewhere. His efforts have resulted in these clients saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in real estate taxes.
- Successfully represented the City of Wilkes-Barre before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. The Third Circuit reversed the ruling of the District Court and found that the City had a right of subrogation against a third party tort recovery obtained by a City employee receiving Heart and Lung benefits as a result of injuries he suffered in a work related vehicular accident. City of Wilkes-Barre v. Sheils.
- Served as co-counsel to the Creditors Committee formed in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed by Transcontinental Refrigerated Lines, Inc. Successfully proposed a Chapter 11 Plan and Disclosure Statement on behalf of the Committee that was approved by both the unsecured claimants and the Court and which protected and advanced the rights and interests of the unsecured creditors. – See more at: http://www.rjglaw.com/attorneys/thomas-j-macneely/#sthash.7hIQvLeQ.dpuf
Bucknell University (B.A. in Economics & Political Science, 1993) The Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University (J.D., 1996) – Editor, Dickinson Law Review Centennial Symposium Issue; Member, Robert F. Wagner Labor Law Moot Court Team
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Financial Services
- Natural Resources
- Nonprofit Organizations
- “Mortgage Fraud and Insuring Titles Out of Foreclosure” (Clarks Summit, PA)
- Bankruptcy and Sheriff’s Sales (Wilkes-Barre, PA)
- One Valley, One Book: Join Your Neighbors in Reading “The Natural”
- “Pennsylvania Farmers and Large Landowners Targeted for Oil and Gas Exploration”
- Attorney MacNeely addressed the newly formed Back Mountain Chamber of Commerce in June, 2013.
BV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell — This rating attests to a lawyer’s legal ability and professional ethics, and reflects the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary. The BV® rating signifies an “excellent” rating for a lawyer that has been admitted to the Bar.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar Association (Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association)
- Middle District Bankruptcy Bar Association, Inc.
- Back Mountain Memorial Library — President
- College Misericordia Annual Fund Drive — Vice-President
- Leadership Wilkes-Barre — Class of 2006
- New Directions of the American Cancer Society — Past Member
- American Heart Association — 2009 Heart Ball Committee
- Sports (Watching & Participating)
- Reading (Biographies & Historical Books)
- Playing Guitar
- Music (Listening to Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles & John Lennon)