For over 25 years, Mr. Gawlas has represented clients in a variety of workers’ compensation, insurance, construction, commercial litigation, and environmental law matters.
A regular speaker to both bar association and business and professional groups, Mr. Gawlas is frequently called upon to provide information on the latest legal developments in the areas of construction law, workers’ compensation issues, and environmental law. A member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association, where he serves on the Local Rules and Environmental Law Committees, Mr. Gawlas is also a member of the Dartmouth Lawyers Association. Long known for his leadership in the community, Mr. Gawlas is a member of the Board of the Back Mountain Memorial Library. He is the Past Board Chairman of the American Red Cross, Wyoming Valley Regional Chapter, where he served as a long-time member of the Board and Executive Committee and held several leadership positions. He is also Director Emeritus of the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Bridge Advisory Board, having served for three years as Board President and is a three time Corporate Chairman of Bowl-for-Kids’-Sake. He is the former President of the St. Nicholas/St. Mary’s Elementary School Board of Education and has also served on the Boards of Directors of Catholic Social Services, Northeast Camp Cadet, and Kingston Township Raiders Junior Football, Inc., and Co-President of the Holy Redeemer High School Football Booster Club.
- Obtained sizable settlement in state court on behalf of tractor trailer drivers injured in an interstate collision.
- Successfully defended preliminary injunction matter brought against county flood protection authority.
- Successfully defended numerous liquidation claims asserted against insurance carriers in liquidation proceedings initiated in Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court.
- Successfully litigated numerous workers compensation matters, for both employers and claimants.
Dartmouth College (A.B., 1983)
Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University (J.D., cum laude, 1986) Member: Order of Barristers; Order of Woolsack; Marshall Moot Court Championship; Dickinson Law Review (1985–1986)
- United States Supreme Court
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- “The First Hearing” and “Preparing For and Presenting at the Hearing” at Workers’ Compensation Fundamentals Seminar (March, 2012)
- “Determining Compensation and Managing the Workers Compensation Case” at Advanced Workers’ Compensation Seminar
- Workers’ Compensation Law Update (National Business Institute)
- King’s College Family Business Forum Workers Compensation Law presentations
- “Addressing Changes and Extras” at Building a Foundation for Managing Complex Construction Law Issues in Pennsylvania Seminar (National Business Institute)
- “Introduction to Change Orders” at Change Orders in Pennsylvania Seminar (Lorman Education Services)
- “Contract Delays” at Pennsylvania Construction Law: What Do You Do When…? Seminar (National Business Institute)
- What Real Estate & Business Lawyers Need to Know About Environmental Law (Pennsylvania Bar Institute)
AV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell — This rating attests to a lawyer’s legal ability and professional ethics, and reflects the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary. The AV® rating is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence for those practicing law for more than 10 years.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar Association (Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association — Member, Local Rules and Environmental Law Committees
- Back Mountain Memorial Library — Board of Directors
- Lector at St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- American Red Cross, Wyoming Valley Regional Chapter — Past Board Chairman
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Bridge Advisory Board — Director Emeritus, Past President
- St. Nicholas/St. Mary’s Elementary School Board of Education — Past President
- Catholic Social Services — Past Board Member
- Northeast Camp Cadet — Past Board Member
- Kingston Township Raiders Junior Football, Inc. — Past Board Member
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association
- Holy Redeemer Football Booster Club — Past Member and Co-President
- Leadership Wilkes-Barre — Graduate