Attorney Paul T. Rushton counsels business clients on corporate law, commercial transactions, business formation, shareholder, employment and governance agreements, shareholder disputes and mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
His clients come from numerous industries including the medical field, insurance and investment brokerage, construction, landscapers, hunting and lake clubs, restaurants, bars, tires, advertising, manufacturing, technology, real estate investments, stone, timber, oil and gas, water haulers, architects and engineers. He is known in legal and business circles for his thoroughness, attention to detail and for constantly considering ways to further his clients’ goals. In addition to his practice, Mr. Rushton energetically looks for ways to give back to his community. He serves as a member of the Board of Directors of Wilkes-Barre Catholic Youth Center. He has addressed groups of students at his alma maters, Heights Elementary School, G.A.R. Memorial High School, and Susquehanna University, as well as the Regional Workshop of Future Business Leaders of America and the Great Valley Technology Alliance Business Plan Competition. Named a Rising Star by Law and Politics, Mr. Rushton was recognized by the Times Leader as one of the area’s “Top 40 Under Forty” professionals.
A cum laude graduate of Susquehanna University, Mr. Rushton earned his law degree from the Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University, where he served as an Associate Editor of the International Law Journal.
Paul has represented clients in connection with the following transactions in recent years:
- Purchase of the assets of a vending business.
- Sale of the assets of a vending business.
- Purchase by a building products manufacturer of the assets of a national competitor.
- Sale of the stock of a brewery to a private equity firm.
- Purchase of the assets of several tire sale, service, and retread businesses by a regional tire sale, service and retread company.
- Sale of the assets of an insurance brokerage business to a competitor.
- Purchase of the assets of an insurance brokerage business by a competitor under a Section 363 bankruptcy sale.
- Purchase of the assets of a temporary staffing business.
- Purchase of the assets of a manufacturer of components used in roofing, pool liners, wall coverings, label applications, and shower liners under a Section 363 bankruptcy sale.
- Purchase of the assets of a day care business.
Paul also has experience in addressing the following issues on behalf of clients:
- Formation of Pennsylvania family limited partnerships, transfer of property and contract rights to family limited partnerships, and gifting of limited partnership interests therein.
- Purchase and sale of Pennsylvania liquor licenses and the application for the transfer of such licenses with the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.
- Conversion of a Pennsylvania general partnership into a Pennsylvania limited partnership or limited liability company in accordance with available exemption from Pennsylvania realty transfer tax.
- Preparation of contracts that comply with the Pennsylvania Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act and counseling home improvement contractors on the procedures that are required by such Act.
Susquehanna University (B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, 1997.
Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University (J.D., 2000). Paul served as an Associate Editor on the Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State UniversityInternational Law Journal as a law student.
- Medical practices, hospitals, health centers, and related businesses
- Insurance and investment brokerage
- Construction (including federal, commercial, and home improvement contractors)
- Restaurants, Bars, and related businesses
- Tire sales, service, and retread business
- Advertising and promotional products
- Real Estate, including real estate investors
- Stone, timber, oil, and gas
- Day Care
- Water haulers
- Architects and Engineers
- Hunting Clubs
- Lake Clubs
An article prepared by Paul Rushton on the subject of converting real estate holding general partnerships into forms of entities affording limited liability protection was published in the most recent Pennsylvania Bar Association Business Law Section newsletter. The newsletter can be viewed here.
Paul presented a seminar titled “Practice Tips for Properly Structuring and Conducting Effective Internal Corporate Investigations” at the THINK Center in downtown Wilkes-Barre in August 2018.
Paul gave a presentation concerning internal corporate investigations at a Northeastern Pennsylvania Chapter Institute of Internal Auditors seminar held in Scranton, Pennsylvania in May 2018.
Paul gave presentations to groups of contractors in Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, and Hazleton on the Pennsylvania Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act. Paul also appeared as a guest on the radio show “Remodeling Roundup” on WILK on July 12, 2009 and July 17, 2009 to discuss the requirements of such Act and answer questions from listeners regarding such requirements. He also appeared on “Remodeling Roundup” to discuss the EPA’s Lead Rule and the requirements imposed upon certain contractors by such Rule. He also participated in a panel discussion on the subject of acquisitions at the King’s College Family Business Forum in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
Paul has also written articles on the following subjects:
- Selecting the Most Preferable Form of Limited Liability Entity for your Medical Practice
- Title Isn’t Everything: Corporate and Tax Issues for Real Estate Investors to Consider Prior to Purchasing an Investment Property.
- Title 15/Business Associations Committee of the Section on Business Law of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Closely-Held Business Committee of the Section on Business Law of the Pennsylvania Bar Association (Chair)
- Board of Directors of The Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry
- Finance Committee of The Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry
- Luzerne County Bar Association (Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association)
- Wilkes-Barre Catholic Youth Center — Board of Directors
- Wilkes-Barre Catholic Youth Center — Finance Committee
- Wilkes-Barre Catholic Youth Center — Member of the Annual Giving Campaign
- Leadership Wilkes-Barre — Class of 2008