- Business & Finance
- Construction Law
- Environmental law
- Industrial Development
- Labor & Employment Law
- Real Estate
- Oil & Gas Leases
For nearly 30 years, Mr. Van Loon’s practice has focused on the representation of banks, borrowers and developers relative to the financing of commercial projects including IDA (tax exempt) financing, tax free bond financing, construction lending, commercial mortgage financing together with zoning, planning and real estate development projects.
His clients also include Colleges and Universities and other non-profits who he advises on real estate matters and issues facing IRS 501(c)(3) entities. In the environmental law arena, Mr. Van Loon represents property owners, business operators, and lenders before regulatory agencies and with respect to compliance matters and transactional issues. A significant portion of his practice is related to assisting property owners with respect to oil, gas and mineral issues including those involving land on the Marcellus Shale.
- Lead real estate counsel — purchase of 18,000 acres from bankrupt debtor
- Bank counsel — $62.0 Million bank qualified tax free financing of Cogen facility
- Borrower counsel — $85.0 Million bank loan for wholesale distributor
- Bank counsel for $75.0 Million asset based financing for manufacturer
- Real estate counsel for zoning, planning and construction of $200 Million recreational facility
- Developer counsel with respect to over 1.0 M square feet of office space
Wilkes University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1975)
Temple University (J.D., 1978; LL.M.-Labor, 1982)
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United State Court of Military Appeals (1978) (LT, JAGC, USNR, 1978-1982)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Mr. Van Loon has lectured for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Lorman Educational Services on environmental and real estate development issues, including zoning, planning and regulatory taking issues. He is also a frequent presenter on oil and gas topics.
- Marcellus Shale, March 21, 2010, Times Leader.
- “Pennsylvania Farmers and large Landowners Targeted for Oil and Gas Exploration”
BV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell — This rating attests to a lawyer’s legal ability and professional ethics, and reflects the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary. The BV® rating signifies an “excellent” rating for a lawyer that has been admitted to the Bar.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association — Member of Real Estate & Trusts, Environmental and Mineral Rights, Corporate and Banking Law Sections
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Misericordia University— (2014–present)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association — Shale Energy Law Committee (2013–present)
- Luzerne County Bar Association (Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association)
- Kirby Center for Free Enterprise and Entrepreneurship — Board Member (1995-2014)
- Salvation Army Advisory Board — Chairman (1996–1996)
- Kirby Family House — Chair (1998–present)
- Greater Wilkes-Barre Development Corporation – Board of Directors (2003–2005)
- St. Vincent de Paul Kitchen — Advisory Board (2005–present)
- Military history