- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Civil Rights and Employment Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
Cross Creek Pointe
1065 Highway 315, Suite 200
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
Assistant’s Name: Darlene Ashton
For over 30 years, Mr. Oschal has represented a wide-range of clients in complex federal and state court litigation matters, including commercial and business litigation, civil rights, labor and employment litigation, restrictive covenants and injunctions, personal injury claims and administrative agency claims, involving the EEOC, PHRC and OSHA.
Jim is a native of northeastern Pennsylvania, graduating Summa Cum Laude from Wyoming Area High School in 1979. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Columbia College in New York City in 1983 with a B.A. in Economics, where was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and was awarded the first annual Charles F. Hoelzer, Jr. Memorial Scholarship. He was also a Zeta Beta Tau fraternity member, a quarterback on the Columbia University football team for four years and is a member of the Columbia Football Players Club. Mr. Oschal earned his J.D. degree from Cornell Law School in 1986, where he was a Cuccia Cup Moot Court Semifinalist and First Year Moot Court Quarterfinalist.
Following graduation, Jim practiced law with Rogers & Wells in New York City where he worked primarily on complex federal litigation matters. He returned home to northeastern Pennsylvania in 1989 to join Rosenn, Jenkins & Greenwald, where he has been representing numerous clients on a wide variety of state and federal litigation matters ever since. He is admitted to practice in the federal and state courts in Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey and in the United States Supreme Court. Jim currently serves as Chair of the Firm’s Civil Rights Practice Group and as Co-Chair of the Federal Practice Committee for the Luzerne County Law and Library Association.
Jim and his wife Janet reside in Shavertown with their children, Krysti, Jimmy and Lauren.
- Obtained sizeable jury verdict in state court on behalf of local architectural, engineering firm against real estate developer.
- Obtained jury verdict after lengthy trial in federal court in favor of employer sued by former employee alleging claims for sex discrimination, sexual harassment and retaliatory discharge from employment.
- Obtained substantial settlement in federal court on behalf of disability insurance policy holder against his insurance companies on breach of contract and bad faith denial of disability claims.
- Obtained a defense verdict in state court following trial on claims by former officer for age discrimination against former employer.
- Obtained confidential settlement at trial in state court for construction subcontractor against general contractor on claims for payment of services rendered.
Columbia College (B.A., magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, 1983)
Cornell Law School (J.D., 1986)
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- United States District Courts of New Jersey
- Moderator of the Civil Practice portion of a seminar “Nuts and Bolts of Local Federal Practice” — presented by the Wilkes-Barre Law and Library Association on October 8, 2021
- “Employment Law Issues” — presented at a Solicitor Seminar on June 11, 2009 in Wilkes-Barre, PA
- “Employment Litigation Considerations” — presented at a Seminar sponsored by the Society of Human Resource Managers on October 24, 2008.
Lawyer’s Advisory Committee, Judicial Conference for the Third Circuit of Pennsylvania
AV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell — This rating attests to a lawyer’s legal ability and professional ethics, and reflects the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary. The AV® rating is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence for those practicing law for more than 10 years.
Professional Community Activities
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar Association (Wilkes-Barre Law & Library)
- Lackawanna County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Federal Practice Comittee
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice (2004–present)
- Downtown Wilkes-Barre Touchdown Club — Member (1998–2004)
- Leaderships Wilkes-Barre – Former Alumni and Board Member
- St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church — Pastor’s Advisory Committee Member (2009–present)
- UNICO, Wilkes-Barre Chapter
- Dallas Youth Basketball
- Back Mountain Little League
- Frozen Ropes Baseball
- Exeter Borough Civil Service Commission — Past Chair
- Cornell Law School Alumni Association
- Columbia Alumni Association
- Columbia Football Players Club
- Wyoming Area Football Alumni Association
“Jim Oschal is an outstanding trial attorney and member of the legal community. Jim is an individual of high moral character and integrity. He has provided effective legal counsel to various business entities throughout his career and is a valued member of the Rosenn, Jenkins & Greenwald partnership. Jim acts as a mentor to many young attorneys who rely on his legal and business acumen in developing their own legal careers.” -5-star Peer Review of James C. Oschal on Martindale.com