Address: 15 South Franklin Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711-0075
Email: E-Mail Me
Direct Dial: (570)826-5651
Direct Fax: (570)706-3432
Assistant's Name: Paula K. Pagliarini
Assistant's E-Mail: E-Mail
Mr. Piatt is a Partner in the firm’s Business and Finance Department. He is considered a preeminent business lawyer in Northeastern Pennsylvania who has helped businesses of all sizes, both public and private, succeed in their business endeavors—from formation to mergers, acquisitions, compliance and more. On a regular basis, he assists entrepreneurs in starting and organizing business organizations, including helping them choose the proper legal entity, drafting functional internal bylaws and rules, and preparing appropriate owner agreements to assure smooth management and ultimately provide means for dissolution or transfer of ownership. His clients also include religious and civic nonprofit organizations which he helps create and amend bylaws, avoid conflicts of interest and other legal liabilities, obtain charitable status for Federal Income Tax purposes, and generally protect members, directors, and officers against personal liability. In addition, he regularly assists family businesses with their succession planning and individual and corporate borrowers in lending transactions, including the issuance of opinions as principal borrower’s counsel and as Pennsylvania counsel for transactions in other states. Mr. Piatt is the Chair-Elect of the Business Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. With the Business Law Section, he has been active in task forces charged with writing Pennsylvania Corporate Laws, providing standards for issuance of legal opinions, and proposing change to Pennsylvania Business Sales Tax Law. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate with highest honors of William and Mary, Mr. Piatt received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
Lee S. Piatt, Partner in the Business & Finance Department of Rosenn, Jenkins & Greenwald, LLP, has been appointed Co-Chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Shale Energy Law Committee of the 2013-2014 year. This is the first year of the Committee, which has been created to keep members of the Bar apprised of developments within the field of shale energy law by fostering communications and education for both attorneys and the public and to assist in the formation of shale energy legislation through the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Mr. Piatt related that "This new committee is necessary because shale energy development has greatly impacted the practice of attorneys from many different fields in all regions of the State. We are excited about the opportunity to have corporate, real estate, environmental, energy, tax, municipal, and other legal experts work together to educate the Bar and the public and to provide a valuable resource or knowledge in the field."
Lee S. Piatt, Partner in the Business and Finance Department of Rosenn, Jenkins & Greenwald, LLP, was recently acknowledged for his service as Chair of the Business Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association for the 2012-2013 year. His award was presented by incoming Chair, Paula Schmeck, Esquire of Bayer Corporation, Pittsburgh. (See attached photo)…
Lee S. Piatt, Partner in the Business and Finance Department of Rosenn, Jenkins & Greenwald, LLP, will be presenting a seminar entitled, "Choice of Business Entity" as a continuing education program for both accountants and attorneys sponsored by Wilkes University and the Luzerne County Law & Library Association. The seminar will be available both in person and electronically as a webinar. On June 13, 2013 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., the seminar will be presented at The Woodlands Inn in Wilkes-Barre, and the webinar presentation will occur on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Reservations and more information are available through Wilkes University by calling Margaret Petty at 570-408-4460.
- Represents a growing international tools and supply distributor ($175 Million in annual sales revenue), handling initial incorporation and acquisition of business, formation and structuring of domestic and foreign affiliates, private placements with two venture capital firms, numerous capital financings, preparation of stock option plans, and drafting of contracts consistent with client's business model;
- Helped owner of manufacturer of frames for investment grade art, plan and provide for succession of ownership, transferring shares to family members and family trusts as well as one non-family executive;
- Represents captive financing company of automobile manufacturer in establishing, enforcing, and when necessary, terminating, dealer floor plan lending relationships throughout the U.S., including advice regarding secured lending under the Uniform Commercial Code and state licensing of commercial lending;
- Structure and reorganize affiliated non-profit entities so as to protect entities from liability and preserve charitable/nonprofit status;
- Represented a regional leader in exterior building repair and reconstruction, through original organization of entity, creation and dissolution of various partner relationships, and ultimately, planning for succession of business;
- Routinely performs commercial contract review for leading manufacturer of paperback books and affiliated entities;
- Created intellectual property policies for local universities and advise educational institutions regarding protection of trade secrets, discoveries, and inventions, as well as structuring research joint ventures;
- Help individuals in difficult and contentious business partnerships, sometimes resulting in business divorce, through transfer of interests or dissolution of business ventures, while preserving and protecting owner assets, and protecting against ongoing liabilities;
- Representation of major regional insurance agency in creation, acquisition, and expansion of various joint ventures;
- Help restructure nonprofit hunting club and transfer oil and gas rights to a limited liability company in order to protect members from liability and minimize tax impact of Marcellus Shale gas lease;
- Represents Christian schools, churches, and camps concerning various matters, including leasing real estate tax exemption, zoning issues, and general corporate matters.
- College of William and Mary (B.A. Phi Beta Kappa, with highest honors, 1977)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1980)